Monday, November 9, 2009

Mormon's fight against Lupus!

On Saturday was the annual Walk for Lupus! The ALR (Alliance for Lupus Research) sponsors a walk every year at a nice park in Las Vegas. The GREAT thing about ALR is that every single dollar and cent that is donated to their organization goes to lupus research! The walk registration is free and they only accept donations if people are willing. How wonderful!

Steve and I went and were joined by our friend Barb. Thanks Barb! It was great to chat and be active together! Upon arrival I noticed that there were a few additional things that weren't part of the walk last year. Booths, refreshments, a deejay, ROTC folding of the flag, a city councilman speech/donation, singing of the national anthem and some "pep" from a local high school. They had a minister offer a prayer at the beginning. Its sincerity moved me to tears. I'm such a "toughie" that I rarely let my emotions regarding my illness come to the surface. I appreciate my trials and the opportunity it has allowed me for growth.

The walk was a success! I had recently purchased some Dr. Scholl's diabetes/circulatory socks. I gave them a try and they were wonderful...guess I'll have to invest in another pair! For those of you who don't know, my most recent flare up involved my vascular system. I have severe nerve damage, especially in my feet. This equals little to NO circulation...Normally after 1/2 mile my feet go numb. On Saturday I was able to walk a mile without any pain! YAHOO! The weather was beautiful and it felt wonderful to be surrounded by other people who suffer or know someone who suffers from my incurable disease.



A wonderful day with beautiful weather shared with my sweet hubby and kind friend. We decided to get our own team together next year...Mormon's fight against Lupus! Whose in?

2 comments:

Cardalls said...

we're in next year!

Unknown said...

Congratulations KJ!! I'm in!!