Thursday, July 30, 2009

Summer fun in Meadow!

This blog is a long time coming...SEVERAL(we're talking six or more)months ago I "misplaced" my camera. How could I lose it?!?!? I was upset and all ready to blame it on one of my students. As we were packing to move this summer, I was SURE I would find it. It was driving me CRAZY! I am an extremely organized person, and I was angry that I let something so valuable slip between my fingers. Well, my hallelujiah moment came last week.

I was at a party for a friend who was leaving town and my camera was returned to me! YAY! How does this all fit into the story? Well, I shall tell you. We have been making due with Steve's camera phone for pictures. Still good quality, but not the same. SO...all these photos from this trip I had to email from Steve's phone and save them to our computer. Yes, we live in the stone ages. So, because of this, it took FOREVER for all of these to open, download and save to my hard drive. So, after a long labor of love, we are able to share our beloved 4th of July trip with you! We hope you enjoy!

P.S. AND we hope to never lose the camera again! It's SO NICE to have it back!

The first matter of business on our trip was to check on the trees Steve planted in April. (See earlier blog to compare growth...it's exciting!) What do you think?



Let's see...what comes next?!?! Steve took an ATV ride up Sunset Canyon with Neal, and...



came across these! Petroglyphs! Very cool....



One afternoon Marlene sent us over to her mom's house to pick the ripe raspberries off the bushes! YUM! It was funny because Steve was impressed to see my raspberry picking abilities! I "schooled" him and picked twice as many as he did in the same amount of time. Yeah baby! He didn't know I had it in me! It was actually cute because he told me it was a "sight to behold" seeing me out in nature picking delicious fruits! My mom and dad used to take us to go pick berries all the time. They sure were yummy!



Our other job was to see if any of the rhubarb was salvageable. We decided it wasn't and Steve went after the bush with pleasure as you can see...FUNNY!



Oh, and the horses! Marlene's cousins have horses that roam right behind their house. Steve fed this horse sunflower seeds and laughed and laughed. He sure does love nature and animals. It was also cool because we saw kits (baby foxes) that were living in the chicken coop. We enjoyed spying on them with the binoculars!



Steve and Neal spent some quality time with the tractor. This tractor is old school; Marlene learned to drive on it. Steve enjoyed zipping around town and to the gas station on it. They wanted me to take a try, but visions of crashing it into something kept coming to me. I'm not familiar with a stick shift, so I stayed far away and let my hubby enjoy it for me!



One night we headed out to White Mountain to roast marshmallows! It was a beautiful night and the moon shone just right on the white sand. We were up on the mountain away from the fire and we heard baby coyotes! So cool. Apparently they're scared of humans, so no fears about being eaten...ha ha! Steve also had encounters with the town goose (who is VERY mean) and goats. Check out these goats!



We ended in celebratory fashion by watching the fireworks in Fillmore (about 8 miles north of Meadow). They were FANTASTIC! My eyes were watering and I had to cover my ears practically the whole show. Give it up to those small towns...they know how to do 4th of July right! (I truly am grateful to the founders who wrote our great Constitution. It was inspired by God, and I grateful for my freedom of religion!)



We had a great time and left sadly to return to city life! It's always refreshing to enjoy the country!

2 comments:

Emily said...

I love the horse picture! I can just imagine Stevie feeding him! Looks like you had fun and the trees look great! Did you make raspberry pie?!?!?!?!

Robin Erickson said...

I made that last comment....not Emily!