Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Inspired

Those of you who are LDS and attended the women's broadcast this weekend won't be surprised by this post. Those who are not can still be inspired by the words that were shared. I attended with a friend and was hoping to be inspired and my wish came true. All the talks were wonderful centering on topics like visiting teaching, charity, teaching our daughters and posterity well and how keeping our covenants will bring us nothing but joy.

And of course the talk that most inspired me was by President Uchtdorf. He presented the analogy of a forget me not flower; how in an amazing garden, this tiny, perhaps not visible flower can contain such beauty. Forget me not flowers have five petals and he gave 5 things that we must NOT forget.

1) Be patient with yourself. We are not perfect and God knows this. Be realistic in your expectations for yourself.
2) Good sacrifice vs. foolish sacrifice. Ask yourself the question, "Am I committing my time and energy to things that matter most?"
3) Be happy now. Don't wait for a "golden ticket". Your happiness is not meant to be put on hold. Don't fail to fill your life now and realize your many blessings.
4) Don't forget the WHY of the gospel. Or for that matter your life. Don't just go through the motions. The gospel is not an obligation, it's a pathway. If we remember this then the mundane can become majestic.
5) The Lord loves me. I AM NOT FORGOTTEN. (This is where tears could be seem streaming down my face).

I'm so grateful to have heard these words. Also, interestingly enough I had several encounters with the forget me not flower later that night. I attended the Greek Festival (delicious food!) with my friends Kate and Tanya. As we were walking in I had a chat with some disabled veterans who were selling none other than forget me not flowers. Typically you see them selling poppies. So of course I had to buy some and donate to a good cause. Secondly, we visited several vendors and came upon a jewelry vendor who sold preserved flowers in beautiful pendants. All three of us ending up buying the forget me not flower pendant. I can't wait to wear it with pride and remember the words of wisdom and inspiration. =)

No comments: