It was also neat to see so many local and state politicians and law makers be judges at this competition. I was mingling with people you see on the billboards! The culminating gathering before the awards were handed out was listening to Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman. Very cool!
We the People is a curriculum that is provided through the Civic Center for Education. I've been lucky enough to teach this program to my fifth graders for seven years now. I have always had a love for history. Teaching this program has lit a fire in me. These kids are like sponges soaking up all the wonderful knowledge that so many ignorant adults in our country will NEVER know.
My kids learn about the founding of our government, it's purpose and the struggles and miracles that took place. It's fantastic. At the end of the year we hold a mock Congressional hearing for the students to have a forum to share what they have learned. I don't have words to express the love I have for our country and what it took to make our country great. It makes me sad to see how we are spiraling down to our destruction.
I look forward to attending a seminar this summer in northern Nevada to be more enriched. I am also currently taking a class so that I can teach Project Citizen, another program from the Civic Center for Education, that teaches the students about public policy and how to fix problems that exist in their own communities.
Am I a dork for having such passion about this? If I am, I don't care. It makes me happy and drives me to learn more.

To learn more about We the People and Project Citizen visit their website @ http://new.civiced.org/.

2 comments:
you are NOT a dork! i wish my kids school taught that curriculum...we need to know about our history!
You're so not a dork! That is awesome! I participated in We the People in high school and I loved it! It's part of why I graduated in Political Science in college and wanted to study law. It's so cool to think you're sparking an interest in government, history and politics in these young kids and they may grow to be future leaders in society. So neat!
Post a Comment